Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Marshmallow

I love the Christmas season, and I'm very sad to see it go. I love to be able to make cookies and dinners for my friends and family, but one thing that I had never done before was make marshmallows. Now, I love hot chocolate, in fact I'm very picky about it. One thing I believe that makes hot chocolate are really good marshmallows. So, I decided that I wanted to try and make my own, and I have found that they are much easier than I originally thought.
Basically, it's a mixture of sugar, water, and corn syrup that's been heated to 240 degrees. It's slowly added to powdered gelatin that's mixed with water. This is beat in a mixer for 12 to 15 minutes, and during the last minute of mixing you can add flavor with vanilla or some other flavoring. You can also add some food coloring. This warm mixture is spread in a 9 X 13 pan that's been prepared with a powdered sugar and cornstarch mixture. It needs to set for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight. Once the marshmallows are set you can cut them with a knife or scissors. To make sure that they don't stick, you mix them with more of the sugar and cornstarch mixture.
I brought these to work with hot chocolate and some peppermint bonbon cookies. They were a hit! I hope that one day you will try making your own marshmallows; you will enjoy them tremendously!

1 comment:

Dana in Georgia said...

What?! No mention of the marshmallow fight at work :)

When you find the time, download that picture of Daddy, PJJ, and me...it's on your camera, remember?

Send me the file. Thanks.