Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Tomatoes

One of my favorite summertime eats is tomatoes. I love having a tomato sandwich for lunch or maybe a BLT or just having them plain. But the one thing that has come to annoy me about tomatoes is that they can be eaten all year around! Now, I know that this is just a product of American commerce, but you must know that isn't how it should be!
Now, folks, let's remember there are in fact four seasons in one year, and there are fruits and vegetables that are best during those seasons. In order to not be completely put off one veggie or fruit, it only seems logical that you eat it while it's in season and at it's best. Which is why I stick to having fresh tomatoes only during the summer, and I look forward to them all year.
One of my favorite toppings for tomatoes is garlic cream cheese. It's a simple recipe but absolutely delicious! It's not only great with tomato sandwiches, but it also works well on BLTs or just having in plain with crackers.

Garlic Cream Cheese

8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 c mayo, Duke's preferably
garlic, enough to fill garlic press*

Combine all ingredients until well combined. Serve immediately or wait until the next day. It's better after sitting for a day, and continues to get better.

*You can change to garlic to suit your taste, more or less, but keep in mind that the flavor gets stronger after the first day.

Now, for those of you who don't like mayo(Dean....), it may have something to do with the fact that you're using Miracle Whip or something silly like that. But I feel the need to inform you that the only mayonnaise that is worthy of the name is Duke's. It may cost a little bit more, but trust me, it's worth it. And if that thought of mayo just grosses you out, just keep in mind that mayo is really nothing more that eggs and oil, so nothing really wrong with it. Just try the Duke's and then decide.

And so to end for today, have a tomato sandwich with some garlic cream cheese or just have it plain, but remember it's a summer food. That's when is grows and that is when it is best, so enjoy it at it's best. :)

2 comments:

Dana in Georgia said...

Tomatoes and lady peas! Yum :)

Dana in Georgia said...

Thought I'd had my last tomato sandwich this summer until a patient brought her last few to share with us :)

Since they were small, I needed two! for my sandwich.